Saturday, March 17, 2012

Laura Numeroff & the Jellybeans Series

Last night I had the privilege of going to the Dallas Museum of Art to hear Laura Numeroff speak.  It was such a neat experience!  She spent a lot of time talking about how she got into writing children’s books, her creative process, and working with the illustrators & publishers.  Most all of us know her for her books like…

But she has a newer series! I know! I didn’t know about it either!  But let me tell you, it is a sweet series. 

The Jellybeans and the Big Book BonanzaThe Jellybeans and the Big Art Adventure

These books are about four friends: Bitsy {who loves to paint}, Emily {who loves to dance}, Anna {who loves to read}, and Nicole {who loves to play soccer}.  These four books reinforce that although all four are different {just like jellybeans} they are the best of friends.  The message of friendship is strong and prominent in all four.

My favorite of the series is The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza.  In this book, Anna {who loves to read} gets to share her love of reading with her three best friends.  They go to the library and find a book that is just right for each.  They are working on a book report for school.  When back at school, the students present their book reports.  Anna is extremely nervous to share and her friends stand by her and encourage her to share her report.  There are two things I love about this book.  The first is that it shows that there is a book out there for everyone!  And it reinforces the value of the librarian…a treasure in my opinion.  The second is that it shows a strong and encouraging friendship.  It’s such an example for young students.

Kiddos will be able to relate to these books so easily!  The charming characters and the applicable life situations will grab their attention and capture their hearts. Smile

I’m going to try to put together a fun little pack to go with The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza – think simplified book report. Smile  It may take me a little while, but I’ll try!

Signature

3 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower thanks to Pocket Full of Kinders Giveaway! Never heard of the Jellybeans books but will get a hold of them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog! I am your newest follower. Please come and check out my new blog.
    enrichingkinders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...